Transforming The Customer Experience

Q&A: How can I avoid fines when playing overhead music at my business?

Posted Aug 8, 2013 7:11:33 AM

ID-10091718If you want to avoid being fined for playing music in any establishment, you need to pay for the license to play that music. Sounds pretty simple, but that’s not necessarily true. There are several different music licensing companies, like BMI, ASCAP and SESAC, and it can be challenging to find out which songs are licensed by which companies.

And as we explained in our All About Music Licensing blog post, small businesses are not exempt from obtaining music licenses to play songs in their establishments. In fact, a music license may be even more important to a small business owner than a large corporation because the amount of the fines can be MASSIVE!

So, is there an easy solution if I don’t want to be fined for playing music in my establishment?

The easiest, most cost-effective way to avoid being fined for playing music in your business is by working with a long-standing, trustworthy overhead music provider. There are many companies, including ours, that obtain all the necessary music licenses so customers don’t have to worry about whether an ASCAP representative will come knocking.

Learn more about music licensing, directly from ASCAP, BMI, or the Better Business Bureau. If you have any questions about playing overhead music in your establishment, contact us here!


Image courtesy of Feelart /