If you’re thinking about adding video marketing to your outreach and communication strategy, you aren’t alone. 96% of B2B companies plan to use video in their content marketing plans this year (Hubspot).
Almost all companies see the value in creating custom video to spread their message and will use this tactic in their marketing this year.
But, not all of them will get it right. Many marketers will fail at creating video marketing strategies that produce results.
To be sure you don’t end up in this category of marketers, use these five video marketing keys to create a killer strategy.
Start With a Clear Strategy and Goal
As with all marketing, good video marketing starts with a clear strategy and goal.
You should never create marketing videos just because you heard it’s the thing to do. Never put any resources into creating content without a clearly defined plan and set of objectives for the campaign.
Start your video marketing by laying out a clear plan. Decide on:
- Your End Goals -- What do you want the video to accomplish? Increase traffic? Increase leads? Increase sales? Spread awareness? Something else?
- Your Budget -- How much do you want to spend on creating your videos? Can you stretch that budget to create more than one video or should you spend it all on one video?
- Your Main Distribution Channel -- Where is the primary place you will use the video? (You may have multiple platforms to share the video, and we’ll get to more on that later in this post.)
- Your Brand Image -- What should your video look like and how should it sound to match your brand?
Brainstorming and defining your objectives and goals early on will guide you as you go through the rest of the creation process.
Focus on Your Target Audience at the Beginning (and During) the Creation Process
As part of your beginning strategy, spend a good amount of time thinking about your audience.
One of the biggest mistakes you can make while creating content -- especially video content -- is failing to put the audience first. It’s easy to create a video that matches your interests and opinions. But when it comes to creating content for an audience, it always needs to be created for the audience. Not you.
So clearly outline who your audience is and what they want before you start creating the content. Ask yourself:
- Who is my target audience? How old are they? Where do they live? What do they do for a living?
- What online platforms does my target audience spend time using?
- What problem is my target audience struggling with?
- How does my organization help the target audience?
- How does my audience describe this problem and solution? What words and phrases do they use to explain the situation?
Ask yourself questions about your audience so you can get inside of their head and begin to see how to create content for them.
And, continue to keep that audience in mind throughout the content process. Regularly return to these questions to make sure your content is aligning with the interests of your audience, not just your own.
Use a Call-to-Action
Creating an awesome video that draws in viewers and holds their attention is a win in video marketing… but only if the video prompts the user to do something after they’ve watched it.
The call-to-action that tells the viewer what to do when the video is over is what turns a video into video marketing. So don’t leave out this vital element.
As the end of the video, remind the audience to do one of the following:
- sign up for your newsletter
- download your free guide
- visit your website
- watch another video
- share the video
- leave a comment
If you don’t know what your call-to-action should be, go back to your video marketing strategy and let that guide you. Look at your end goal and add a call-to-action that guides the viewer toward that end point.
Publish on a Variety of Platforms
Early in your planning, you considered the platform that would be your main distribution channel or the place where you would primarily publish your video.
Stick with this strategy but push it forward, and find other platforms where you can repurpose and reuse your video.
Places where you can publish your video include:
- Your Website -- Videos perform extremely well on home and landing pages.
- Other Websites -- Ask other publishers if they would be interested in sharing your video if it is useful to their audience.
- Vimeo & YouTube -- You can publish on both to get more reach out of your video.
- Facebook -- Videos uploaded directly to Facebook get a lot of attention.
- Emails -- Emails with the word “video” in the subject line receive higher open and click through rates.
Get the most out of your video marketing plan by publishing your video in as many places as possible. But remember, only publish a video on a platform if it makes sense. (i.e., Don’t send a product demo video to a customer email list that has already purchased the product.)
Review Your Results
Once your video is shared with the world, don’t forget about it.
Go back and review the results to see how your video is performing and if it is effectively helping you reach your original goals.
Review metrics that show you how long your audience viewed the video, what they did after watching the video, and any other data that relates to the goals you set. Use what you find to tweak the process as you go through your next iteration of video content creation.
With these video marketing strategies, you will be able to guide your content creation, get the most out our you content strategy, and avoid common pitfalls.
But if you still have questions about how to use effectively add video to your marketing strategies, we are here to help.
Schedule a free consultation with a Spectrio specialist to get answers to your questions and learn even more about content creation, promotion, and strategy.